Tuesday 17 June 2014

Dangerous Ground.........

We all got out of our vans to photograph the Bison

Today was the day I was dreading. We were going into Yellowstone Park for the first time. I needed some Dutch courage. I started off the day with Nutella and croissants.
For weeks my fellow students have been joking about my phobia of bears. From using bear spray, to meeting Yogi bear the reality suddenly hit me. I was about to drive through the park and I could actually meet a real live bear. Being British I only see them from behind bars. To see bears in the wild, in England, would cause havoc!
Armed with my bear spray, we entered Yellowstone Park. Driving through the park I was struck by the sheer size and scale of it. It was stunning on an overwhelming scale.
Travelling through Yellowstone was quite strange as people congregated around taking photographs. The traffic came to a standstill on many occasions. The visitors were taking photographs of the natural inhabitants. It was quite surreal to watch although I joined in as well. Every time I saw a new animal I squealed with excitement. Today we saw moose, wolf, bison and elk. My inner child began to show. I am still awaiting my dreaded bear.
Arriving at Yellowstone, one of our first stops was Old Faithfull. 10 minutes before the next eruption everyone was waiting with great anticipation. Cameras at the ready everyone had baited breath. Not everyone had great expectations. According to a local biker he had seen a better explosion from a fire hydrant.
The crowds awaiting Old Faithful
There she blows

Back on the road we stopped off at some geysers. The colours were spectacular. I had never seen anything like it before. From the feeling of dread from an impending bear, walking through the geysers was like a dream. The mist and the surroundings areas were calming and soothing. Although I was soaked to the skin I felt revitalised.

Today has been a day of new experiences for me. From eating my first Oreo, to seeing a wild wolf I am looking forward to the next days left in Yellowstone Park.
Rachel Perry

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I hope you weren't too tired to enjoy it after your epic journey. Keep the photos coming making us all very jealous! Anne E

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete